Why just wear ordinary flip flops when you can wear FABULOUS flip flops that are uniquely you.
This is a great stash buster project that uses the tiniest bits of yarn and can be done in an afternoon.
Use the colours I’ve used here or let your imagination loose and go wild. Make them your own!
What you’ll need:
- 3mm hook
- Flip Flops: I got mine from a large department store starting with ‘T’ for $4.00
- Needle & thread
- 4 ply cotton yarn (3ply works well too – just go down one hook size)
Colours used: L-R Coral, Salmon, Dk Mint, Lt Mint, Grey, White
Let the making begin:
- US terms used
- Ch – chain
- SC – single crochet (AU/UK DC)
- Please read through all instructions before you start
Step 1: Refer to colour chart above for colour guidance, Ch 10, turn
Step 2: SC into 2nd ch from hook, sc 8, turn
Step 3: Ch1, SC 9 following chart from row 3. Repeat this step through to Row 76*
* My giant size 9 hoofs took 76 rows. This may vary depending on your size. You can check the length required towards the end by draping your work across and around the strap of your flip flops to get an idea of how far to go.
** Keep scrolling down to see the bits about changing colours and dealing with those pesky tail ends.
Changing colours: Pull new colour through loop on
hook (this makes a chain stitch with the new colour),
turn, and continue on following pattern.
Crochet over the ends as you go. You’ll
thank me later.
Step 4: Once you’ve reached the desired length it’s time to stitch them up
* Wrap your strip around the flip flop strap as far down to the base as you can go.
* Bring edges together
* Insert your needle into the bottom corner of one side and make a small stitch over to
the other side to secure.
* Work your way up the strip, stitch from one side to the other (Mattress Stitch)
*Don’t worry too much about perfect little stitches here as they will be hidden.
* It’s a little bit awkward stitching around the in-between-toe-thingy
but as you’ll see in the photo, I’ve just made a few big stitches
and they are holding well.
Voila! Now step out in style in your fabulous flip flops.
14 thoughts on “Fab-ify your flip flops”
So clever! Love those colours too, so summery 🙂
It’s so cool! And u really know how to match colours.
I found this pic on Pinterest ages ago, but only just found your blog. It’s awesome to see another crochet peep from Melbourne! Love your work, especially your colours. 😀
Thanks Terri 🙂 I’m a slack blogger and need to remember I have one! Just had a look at your blog too – love your work and yay for us awesome Melburnians
These are fabulous, going to share on my blog/FB page in preparation for our -hopefully flipflop weather – British summer!!!!! Great idea. Karen :O)xxx
Thanks Karen I wear mine all the time and they always get noticed. Ahhh yes, I’ve experienced a British summer …. wear them anyway 🙂
Pingback: motleymakery: Fab-ify your Flip-Flops!Free Crochet Pattern… | pasdepalais.com
Pingback: Crochet Tutorial: Transform your Flip Flops with fun crochet magic | YARNutopia by Nadia Fuad
Pingback: 25 Different Ways to Fancy Your Flip Flops
Pingback: Free Crochet Flip Flop Patterns
Pingback: Bookmark Dump: Profane onesies, crafty flip flops, and outdoor reading nooks – Habitual Homebody
Pingback: 12 ideas DIY para personalizar las chanclas este verano - Decoracion.red
Pingback: Easy Crochet Patterns For Beginners To Get Started With
Reblogged this on adornosmalulu.